Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Cry of Hope; The Cry of The People....!

Hey Guys, So lately I have been in kind of a funk. Coming across different videos that make me feel lucky to be alive but also very angry and teary eyed. These are some videos I came across that spoke about stuff that truly matter. The first is "Poison Fire"; a short documentary, while the second is a new movie that will tell the story the way it is. It is called "Black Gold".





Gas flares play a huge part in the whole Nigerian Dilemma. They say that Nigerians are this or that, but coming from Rivers State which is in the South-South, it is always sad to hear how scared I am to go back there, even to visit family. Instead we live in Lagos City where hard-work is important. People ask why I am scared but they don't understand. Like every society fighting for change the people here are fighting for jobs and the like, hence the rebels or militants are formed.

These militants kidnap people and do as they feel, you want to admonish them but sometimes you can't help but think they are doing it for the right reasons. Amnesty was offered and a few accepted, but the question is how long is this going to last. It scares me more every time when I know I am connected to people involved because of where I come from. Okrika is a town that scares me every time, the violence is enough to keep you on your toes.

One Nigerian artist that always inspires me and makes me cry sometimes is MI. In his new album MI2, he talks about more things that make sense. One song that made me think hard was "CRAZE". I'll lay out the final verse for you;

[Verse 3]
Na so craze dey start
Before we start to kidnap, e don
tey wey we dey struggle and the
times are hard
Niger Delta where we live is like
a hole in the map
Only the oil is respected but
the people are crap
I cant go to the farm because the
soil is bad
Cant fish anymore, the fish are
packing their bag
I discovered that the oil people
paid all my leader
I cant complain unless they do
me Ken Saro Wiwa
So when the shooting and looting
and the poor thing
Or you pour in the boot is the new
thing
Think about the polluting and
using the land and refusing to
pop in a few things
Think about all the people that
can survive so others can make
money off the fewer that don’t
provide
No NEPA mehn, we gotta buy diesel
for light
And after everything they raise
the fuel price

How long shall the people cry? How long shall we wait before corruption is gone and the people get what is theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment